Actually one of the most successful examples is coming from ABA (American Booksellers Association) that its indieBound application for iPhones, or iPhone App is one of the most popular ones.
What you can do with it? here are few examples from indieBound website:
- Browse indie bookseller recommendation lists (The Indie Next List, The Kids Indie Next List) and bestseller lists (The Indie Bestseller Lists)
- Search for books from a comprehensive database of in-print titles
- Review detailed book information
- Buy books online from indie bookstores
- Find local, indie bookstores nearby, or across the United States
- Find other independently-owned businesses, like coffee shops, movie theaters, and bicycle stores
GalleyCat caught up with Matt Supko, the developer of this application and if you want to learn a little bit more about the world of Apps developers you should check out this video:
Speaking of social media, ABA also had another great panel with Gary Vaynerchuk, who is a successful self-made man, the author of the upcoming book "Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion" and one of the most talented and funny presenters I have seen.
He talked about his experience with Wine Library and gave tips how indie bookstores should build their brand equity over the internet using their strengths to differentiate themselves from other retailers and succeed in their business.
Vaynerchuk's gave its presentation just few hours before his his first baby Misha was born, so congrats to Gary! Enjoy his presentation - it's more than hour long but this thought-provoking presentation definitely worths your time!
Raz @ Eco-Libris