Friday, June 6, 2008

Grateful Dead as a model for the publishing industry in the digital age

Paul Krugman is one of my favorite editorial writers in the New York Times. Today he wrote a very interesting column on the future of the publishing industry in the digital age ('Bits, Bands and Books.')

Krugman's advice to publishers: take an example from the Grateful Dead. In other words he offers a strategy of "giving intellectual property away so that people will buy your paraphernalia", or if you translate it to publishing terminology - "books may end up serving mainly as promotional material for authors' other activities, such as live reading with paid admission".

Too futuristic? maybe. Interesting and worth thinking about? Definitely!

Raz @ Eco-Libris

1 comment:

osindak said...

hello there! I'm really glad to 'find' eco-libris (of which I read in the Going Places magazine by Malaysia Airlines). I've started 'paying back' what I owe nature for the books I've read, and more to come! Cheers! Regards, Susan (Malaysia)